Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hiking Prairie State Park Missouri amongst the Buffalo, Elk, and Deer- Barton County, Missouri January 6th 2012



Prairie State Park located in Barton County, Missouri (Between Lamar, MO and Pittsburg, KS) provides a different type of hiking experience.  This is an interesting park due to the fact that the park contains a herd of bison, as well as Elk.  If you get out there on a week day (especially in the winter) you will have the entire park to your self, as I did.
I did a small loop hike off the campground.  There are electrical fences to negotiate throughout the park.  I had a small pack on, so I went right through (the crossing points have plastic over the wires).  If I was going for an overnight, I think I would take the pack off before negotiating.  After I crossed the fence, I did see what appeared to be an elk (I had a little distance on him).  The photos of the bison actually were taken on the other side of the fence.  I would never recommend getting that close to bison unless you had some form a barrier between them an yourself.
Tip especially for the winter:  Print out a trail map online before you go out.  Maps are not readily available, and the prairie blazes are harder to interpret in the winter when the tall grass is down

Hike ON

Mike

Bison viewing and prairie hiking at Prairie State Park, Missouri


EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Missouri

No comments:

Post a Comment